The Vision of GDS is to be center of excellence in Gender and Development Studies in the Asian region that:
- Trains specialists in gender and development;
- Increases gender awareness among technology, management and development professionals;
- Generates knowledge through interdisciplinary research and publications in technology, development, and gender relations in Asian societies;
- Assists other institutions in Asia to strengthen gender studies through training, research and outreach; and
- Functions as an academic arm of community-based efforts for the advancement of women and sustainable development.
By functioning as an academic arm of community-based efforts for the advancement of women, equity-based sustainable development and poverty alleviation, GDS aims to work as a regional center of excellence in the field of gender, technology and development studies, and to integrate gender as a key intellectual perspective and ethical concern in AIT as well. This is to be achieved by:
- Teaching post-graduate students in GDS to create gender experts, as well as co-teaching in other fields of study in AIT to create gender-sensitive/gender-responsive engineers, managers and scientists
- Generating knowledge through interdisciplinary research and publication in technology, development, and gender relations in Asian societies;
- Providing advice and assistance to academic, policy units and external agencies with regards to gender issues and gender-responsive development strategies;
- Providing short term courses to development practitioners and organizations in Asia;
- Forging linkages with international women’s studies and gender studies research networks and associations to engage in the current drift of debates and issues that would enhance curriculum-building.